Married to 'stuff'

As a nation we are so consumed by 'stuff' we work for it, plan for it, save for it and shop for it. We buy, consume and store. Isn't it kind of ironic how you now see a mini storage on every block it seems these days. This is simply because...We have too much damn stuff!!! The reason why I'm writing this and I'm writing it in kind of an abrasive way is because I came to the realization the other day that (this is pretty embarrassing to admit)....I was married to stuff! So let me clarify what I mean by this. I was married for 16 years (in this relationship since I was a senior in high school). I was in a miserable marriage I really didn't want to be in but I realized the reason why I didn't leave a long time ago was simply I was afraid to lose all my stuff. I loved collecting and have grown fond of things like antiques and odd furniture. I love clothes and had a nice collection of vintage clothing, shoes and collectibles. Well, I did finally end up leaving. I just couldn't live a lie anymore, the fake smiles the fake...marriage. The loss of control I had over my own life. Living in an abusive relationship is hard because you can either tell people what's really going on, and they can choose to believe you or not, or you can just ignore it and hope things will get better. It's amazing how the person you are living with behind closed doors and the person the world sees you with can be two entirely different people. I lived this was for too long. After 18 years I was over it. I wanted the whole picture perfect family and the holiday dinners and the Martha Stewart house, isn't that what everyone wants at some point? lol Ok, maybe not, but that was my dream damn it, so don't laugh!!! Anyway, I did end up losing so much of my stuff, not all, but a lot. Word to the wise (never let anyone put anything in storage unless it's in your name too, it doesn't matter if you are married to the person). Ok, I'm still a little bitter about my loss but it was a small price to pay for the freedom and piece of mind it has left me with. My kids even lost so much of their stuff but we have never been happier and are in the process of re-building. The lesson I learned from all of this is this, I will never be married to 'stuff' ever again. There is great piece and freedom in contentment. Be content everyday...let's just vow to stop trying to work so hard to accumulate more stuff and just embrace the present and enjoy what you have right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some websites I thought you might enjoy!

Walgreens Coupon Deals: Week of 10/16

Breaking The Silence....Why I left. Throwing it all out there.